Saturday 7 November 2015

Oslo - an Old City and an Old Friend

I've got all morning to explore Bergen and so first up after breakfast is the funicular, highly recommended by the concierge last night. It's literally at the end of my street and turn left. 


I had been worried that it was one of those hanging things - can't think what they're called - like a chairlift but it was on a track and stayed on the ground all the way - which was a relief...



It's a short but lovely ride to the top, where the view is amazing - even though it looks a bit cloudy.


There are a number of nature hikes you can take up here. They look beautiful but I don't have time this morning. 


You can take it one way, return or stopping along the way. I did the return version.



The sun was playing hide and seek behind a cloud and it was a great view. I woke last night to teeming rain - better last night than today! I also loved that I could open both windows and so was not hot and stuffy, like I have been in some other hotel rooms - must have fresh air, even if it is 2 degrees!

Back down again. It makes stops on the way down and a father with two littlies gets on. Little boy obviously wants to sit in the front seat, where I am, so I slide over (giving him room to sit - not blocking his way!) and he beams. Little red curly haired sister sits with him and keeps looking at me and smiling. Very cute. They pepper their poor father with questions - don't know what they were, all I heard was, "Papa...?" "Papa...?" "Papa...?" Papa was very patient.

After the funicular, I head past the Bryggen to an interesting looking stone building at the other side. Turns out it was a castle in times gone by. You can walk around it, which is what I do. People out walking their dogs and just strolling around. Very pretty.



Then it's back along the Bryggen - it's a fantastic place. The buildings are amazing. 


I stopped here for a coffee, sat out front and watched the world go by.


Then I found this store - it's a Christmas shop. It's up three storeys - the more storeys you go up, the more the floors slope alarmingly. I guess they're safe...?! Gorgeous stuff though.



It's time to go back to my attic room (favourite one so far!) and pack up to check out. They have a luggage storage room, which is very handy, and they don't charge! Then out again and out the other way to have a wander.

Some sights along the way...



This is the mailman...


One of the vegetarian restaurants I googled was this one...


It wasn't really vegetarian but they did have options - like this really good Brie and asparagus pancake, with salad - to make it healthy...


The streets here are amazing. There are little laneways that head up to the houses in the hills. Had a walk up there.



Then for a stroll around the back of the Bryggen homes and then down one of the alleys...



Then back to pick up my suitcase and walk up to get the flybus. A pilot gets on and sits behind me. Makes a phone call, chats. I don't want my pilots to be human and sitting on buses! They should be superhuman and just flying planes - safely!

To the airport, to the plane for such a short flight it's hardly worth it, leaving behind Bergen - such a wonderful little city. I did enjoy my visit here.

Then to Oslo, onto the train and there's Mark Sheedy to greet me! How exciting to see him in his adopted hometown. We walk to the tram and take it back to their apartment. Lovely walk.



Then it's time for a chat and catch up. Jørgen arrives and we head out for dinner at Cafe Skansen.


Before home, wine, chips and chocolate and chats.







No comments:

Post a Comment