Wednesday 4 November 2015

Bergen, Norway - a Travel Day

Very early start today - alarm set for 3:30am to be checked out and ready for the shuttle, which had a start time of 4:00 so any time between 4:00 and 4:15. The shuttle takes us to the bus depot and we transfer to the big bus for the 45-minute ride. It's amazing how many people there are at this time! We all have that expressionless, displaced look on our faces. Travel is a necessary evil to get anywhere!

Keflavik Airport is one of the most efficient I've seen! The queue for check in and baggage drop looks really long and daunting but they have plenty of staff on so you barely stand still once you're in the queue - you're to the desk in no time. When I go through the initial gate, the lady asks where I'm from - Australia doesn't have a list on her computer - so it's just 'other'.

Then through the security and that line moves just as well. There is a sign saying the time for security is five minutes but I don't think it even took that long. There are clear signs to say what you can and can't take through, with samples of the potentially offending items - like butter and moisturiser. A big sign listing what you need to do when you get there - have passport and boarding pass out, take off coats, electronic equipment into the baskets, belts off, and so on. Signs to indicate no photography. All the stuff that is obvious but there are always those who still do it wrong. 

It's so well organised and efficient I don't think eight minutes have passed between arriving on the bus and sitting in the cafe with a coffee and a cheese roll!

Still have a bit of time so I make the mistake of going through one if the shops. There I find a fantastic book on Grylla and the Yule Lads - the Icelandic Christmas folklore characters. So now I'm torn - it's $40, do I need it? How much do I want it? Then I thought about getting home and really regretting not getting it and not being able to get it at home. So the purchase is made. It's not a massive amount and it is a great book. And another place where Australia is 'other' - I'm trying to calculate how much in Australian dollars and she says she can do it on her register - but of course AUD is not an option! I have to get the iPad out as I've got an app to do it.


So now it's on to Norway. I could not have had a better week in Iceland. It was just perfect. I would like to come back and do the northern parts. Ingason kept saying to go to Lake Myvatn - where he's from. 


I'm sitting on a plane next to a guy who has decided he's been allocated both his seat and the armrest and a good section of my seat. I will start edging across, reclaiming my space!

Some notes on Iceland -
The Icelanders seem quite surprised that they have become this massive tourist destination and it feels like they're torn between appreciating the economy boost and dismay at the loss of their quiet way of life - the streets are teeming with tourists. Ingason was really curious to know why we all decided to make Iceland our holiday destination.
Maybe as a result of the above, maybe it's the nature but they are not the friendliest of people. They're really polite and helpful but not overly effusive. The tour people are the exception - Ingason, Marteinn and Johan were great.
At all the stops on the bus trips, there were counters set up for drivers and guides with hot meals for them. This works for both sides - the drivers and guides are looked after and they are more likely to keep coming back. It's a nice touch though.
Icelanders have really cheap utilities - there is an abundance of water (the best water I've ever had). And electricity is cheap because of all the geothermal plants.
When you use an ATM, it recognises that you are English speaking and converts from Icelandic to English. As do the shop staff as soon as you look confused when they speak Icelandic to you. Very ignores side really.
I know a lot of Australians who have been to Iceland of late but I didn't see many at all. And Ingason and Johan hadn't seen very few.
At one of the stops, Guy Sebastian's Eurovision song played on the radio - was great to hear!

Here's a map of Iceland. Reykjavik is on the right. Our tour went to the bottom right - to Jokulsarlon...


Some Icelandic words -
Foss is waterfall
Jokull is glacier
Lon is river
Kirkja is church
Vic is bay
Stigur is lane or street
Takid kort is take card out of machine after it has depleted your account some more.

We land in Norway and I've stepped into the land of the beautiful people! Oh, my goodness - they're all beautiful!

Collect my bags and then through to the domestic terminal. They all assume I'm Norwegian until I gesture that I have no idea what they're saying. I don't think they're mistaking me for the beautiful people, just assuming that everyone is local!

I've got a couple of hours to wait. When I booked this flight, I wanted to make sure I had enough time to land, clear customs, get my bag, get to domestic, check in and board. And as I've said many times, better two hours too early than one minute late!


So I wander around, have a coffee, get some Norwegian krona, try and get the wifi to work (can't) and wait. I do get the wifi to work about 15 minutes before boarding.

It might be an airport thing or just coincidence but I've noticed some 'rude' behaviour. Is that the word?? When I was walking to ask at the airline counter if I could move my flight time up a bit (worth an ask but I'm not paying to change it), I could hear footsteps behind me. As I was almost at the counter, the footsteps started running and the woman ran in front of me to be the next one served.

Then as I was walking into the loos, a woman came out of one, it was a very narrow area and there was an impasse. I stepped aside with a smile to let her through and she just walked past without acknowledging my presence, let alone a thank you. A guy hit me as he was walking down the aisle on the plane swinging his arms. Another guy manoeuvred himself past me in the line to board the plane. None of these are much but when they all came within an hour, it was a bit noticeable. Never mind, might just be one of those days.

The flight to Bergen is 35 minutes - up, serve the coffee, clear the rubbish, down. When we were flying to Oslo earlier, they have the map with the plane flying on it, showing the flight path. It was a bit sad to see us go over Bergen to Oslo when I was just having to go back again!

Hilarious signs for the ladies room. I wonder if you have to be this desperate to use them!


Outside to find the shuttle bus and it seems for his announcement that it wasn't one that dropped you at your hotel, but one that stopped at four or five set stops and you find your way from there. Thankfully the bus wifi was working so I could look up the directions. But he told me a different stop than the one I had looked up. I must have looked a bit lost coz he took the time to draw on a map where we were and where I was going.

Bergen is a lovely town - all hills with homes dotted up and down. Some shots on the way...



 It was the same as I had looked up, just from the opposite direction. I recognised the address...


Do we state the obvious and ask if the partner street is nearby?

The hotel is fabulous and I love my little attic room!




I wanted to take a quick walk down to the waterfront area, Bryggen, before dark...



Some of the buildings have a distinct lean. I found one along the way for dinner before heading back for an earlish night. A lovely restaurant with a lovely meal, including a traditional apple/cream/crumble delight.


It was an early start this morning and it's going to be a big day tomorrow!

Travel days...

No comments:

Post a Comment