Monday 16 November 2015

Home...

An early morning wake-up call after a late night. So glad I went up the Burj and very glad I did the luxury package - was cheaper than day time and I got dates!

Up and packed and I asked the front desk for a taxi that took credit card - I spent my last AED last night - good planning, I thought. But the cabs don't take card so I have to take out another 100 AED - the minimum amount. Never mind, I'll get coffee at the airport.

Some photos of the hotel - it was lovely and a great location. And I was upgraded to executive!




To the airport, wander around, have coffee and a croissant. This waterfall wall is just where the escalators are - nothing fancy...!


Love this sign with the prayer rooms and Red Crescent. (Red Cross)


Some notes on Dubai - they don't pay tax, there is no unemployment or homeless. If a non-native doesn't have a job in 60 days, they're out. 
Even if you are born there you can't get a passport - they don't issue any. 
Dubai is only 19% native and there are over 200 nationalities living there.
Women apparently choose to wear the hajib and burqa. They can work in any field and any money they earn is theirs alone. They can choose to share it or just keep it.
The taxi I was put in on the first night was driven by a lady - she can only drive women, which was why I got that cab.
They are friendly and will smile hello on the street.
They also crack their knuckles a lot.
The drivers are a bit crazy - there's lots of cutting in from three lanes across, and horns are important tools of indication.

Waiting to get on the plane and I note that I'm in seat 43 - so I'm thinking right up the tail end but when I walk to get on, I'm in the first entry. And then I'm sitting in the aisle seat in the very front row! Fantastic. And heaps of leg room. This is my view.


That stairway leads to the cockpit.

So long and uneventful flight. I did watch The Castle, which is still hilarious. Arrive back in Melbourne and for the first (and probably last) time I'm first off a plane. And there's mum and Alison to greet me - which is iust wonderful! And home. And it takes a while but madam finally comes out of hiding and now she won't leave me alone!



And here are the northern light photos that Mario sent through...



And now I start to plan the next trip!



2 comments:

  1. Welcome home, Sarah!! Now we have to sit and wait for the next blog installments.

    Patience Miguel........patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photography of your trip if you want a best trip to Detroit and Michigan avail our cab services known as Detroit airport taxi .

    ReplyDelete