Monday 7 November 2016

In Transit...

We don't have to check out until midday so we have a leisurely morning, breakfast, check out, leave our bags and then head to Downtown Disney - where the Disney hotels are and there are souvenir shops, cafes, a cinema and various other bits and pieces.



LEgo Beauty and the Beast at the Lego shop.


Raff and Brett are going to see the movie - it's not one either Shaun or I want to see. Shaun is also conscious of the fact that we'll be on a plane for 14 hours with nothing else to do but watch movies. There's time for coffee so we go down to a restaurant. I have been on Dr Google this morning and I have all the symptoms of deep vein thrombosis and it's worrying me. My leg is hurting still and then I'm just not feeling well.

So I go down to the Disney hotel to see if they have a medical centre. They have a nurse, who comes - she won't diagnose but suggests I go to the medical centre to get it seen to. I don't really want to but think I should - coz we are flying tonight and that could be disastrous. 

Into a cab and down to the medical centre. Fill in forms, wait, wait, go into the blood pressure, details room, wait. They don't have wifi and I got a bit weepy coz I couldn't contact Shaun to let him know what was happening, so they gave me their access code to their wifi. Wait. Into another room, wait. Doctor comes in, looks, it's definitely swollen and red and warm and she wants me to have an ultrasound - just to rule it out.

Wait, go to the ultrasound room and it takes quite a while. My leg is infected and it's hard for them to see the veins. Then she started with things like, "this is DVT. You're not going anywhere for quite a while." And so my mind is racing with what to do - tell work, ask my Maggie minder to stay longer, ask Tiffany, if she can't. Can I fly to Vegas so I can stay with Leigh Anne - don't want to be in a hotel by myself in Los Angeles. Can't fly there, okay, I'll get a bus. This was quite a possibility for a good 15 minutes and it was a horrible 15 mintues!!

Then they keep looking and checking and it becomes, "the veins are contracting, it's fine." So I start hoping it is okay. It takes a long time but finally they're done. They think it's okay but have to get the all-clear from the doctor, which I do. Thank goodness!! Call a cab and back to the hotel to wait for the boys - no point going back to Downtown Disney. Got a great cab driver, he was very chatty and lovely and I am in a good and relieved mood coz I can go home! I have drugs for the infection and hopefully it's all okay.

The boys arrive and we get our shuttle out to the airport. These Los Angeles are huge and so busy. To the airport, check in, get something to eat coz we haven't eaten since breakfast, and on we go. It's good it's a 22:20 flight as we manage to get some sleep.

A few random notes - 
In the toilets of Harry Potter land at Universal Studios, they have audio playing of Moaning Mrytle, saying hello and stuff, it's very cool and appropriate.

You can buy Mickey Mouse ears with a veil on it, to show you are a bride, I guess.

To show that Disney will sell anything, they actually sell ornaments of the different rubbish bin types that you see throughout the park!

There are large groups of people who all buy the same t-shirt - and wear them. Saw a number of groups with 'mom', 'big sister', 'birthday boy' and so on...

There are a lot of political ads on at the moment - as you'd expect with the election imminent.

In California, there are lots of ads encouraging people to vote for proposition 50 or whatever number it is. I think they have to vote separately for different issues - death penalty, legalise marijuana, school stuff and so on.

There are still the ads for medications - with disclaimers like, "may cause blindness, liver failure and death!"

I finally watch Frozen while on the plane - great movie! Landing and then Brett's sister Vicky picks us up. Back to the boys' house, where there are three very happ hounds.



Time for a quick decent coffee - yum! - and then home to a happy cat. 


Amazing holiday, a non-stop feast of theatres and theme parks with amazing people!

No comments:

Post a Comment